- About Us
Our program and action
Posted on March 20th, 2007.
Gabriela Women’s Party is a sectoral party dedicated to promoting the rights and welfare of marginalized and under-represented Filipino women through participation in the country’s electoral system and organs of governance. It is a sectoral party composed of women 18 years and above, having varied occupations, education, interests, ethnic origin, religious affiliation, and sexual orientation. The Gabriela Women’s Party seeks to harness the potential, initiative, skills, and leadership of marginalized women towards empowerment, justice, and equality.
I. On Empowerment
- To initiate, support and proposed measures that would uplift the conditions of marginalized women in the economic, political, social and cultural fields.
- To educate and organize marginalized women from various sectors towards actualizing women’s potential for leadership and action.
- To tap the organized strength of marginalized women for action towards safeguarding national sovereignty and democracy as well as the people’s welfare and well-being.
- To work for a true land reform program that recognizes poor women’s right to ownership of the land they till, ensure state provision for health, maternal and child care services for rural women as well as support for their technical skills, training and education.
- To support campaigns for wage increase, improvement of maternity benefits, provision of child care services and elimination of sexual harassment in the workplace.
- To push for the setting up and protection of local industries in order to generate employment and thus minimize the need for working women to leave their families and work abroad.
- To initiate moves to stop labor-only contracting especially as it takes advantage of women’s cheap labor and makes them vulnerable to abuse.
- To encourage women’s initiatives towards a sound and healthy environment, particularly against chemical and waste pollution, forest denudation and the depletion of marine and coral resources.
II. On Justice
- To initiate, encourage, or fight for measures that would strengthen action particularly as regards sexual violence such as rape, prostitution, sex trafficking, pornography, wife battery, incest, etc.
- To fight human rights violations against women in all its forms and conduct information and education campaigns to protect women from violence, abuse, humiliation, degradation and exploitation.
- To urge a total stop to illegal recruitment and sex trafficking of women in the guise of employment or marriage.
- To work for the freedom of all political prisoners, especially pregnant women, nursing mothers, the sick, the infirmed, heads of families or main breadwinners.
- To facilitate legal assistance, crisis intervention and just compensation to women who are victims of violence, poverty, and environmental degradation.
- To campaign for the right to health care and the free exercise by women of reproductive choices and the provision of services that will make this a reality.
- To demand stricter sanctions and punishment for perpetrators of child prostitution, child labor and other forms of child abuse.
III. On Equality
- To support and promote initiatives aimed at preventing unjust and discriminarory practices against Filipino women that deter their full development as persons.
- To monitor the compliance and implementation of government of international statutes on equality and against the discrimination of women, to which it is a signatory.
- To promote the equality of men and women not only before the law but in various professions, in the workplace and in the home.
- To defend the right of lesbians and gays against discrimination.
- To raise the consciousness not only of women, but also of men, on gender issues and gender-sensitivity.